In the aftermath of the shooting rampage at Fort Hood, what do we know about the “suspect,” Major Nadil Malik Hasan?
Instead of dwelling for too long on the rampant media speculation about what may have “driven” Hasan to commit such a despicable act, it should be noted that a lengthy investigation needs to be completed in order to build the evidentiary case.
From the crime scene itself to the offices of Homeland Security, multiple jurisdictions including local police, Army, FBI, ATF and others are now involved in successfully prosecuting this bastard. Motive is lower on the list when physical evidence must urgently be documented and a detailed investigation completed.
However, several points established thus far are worth considering in the context of the Major’s role in the military:
- The Army provided his medical training.
- He required counselling as a medical student because of problems with patients.
- His name appears on “radical” Internet postings.
- He fought his deployment to Iraq.
- He argued with soldiers who supported the current wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- He is a practicing Muslim.
None of these things suggest in themselves a criminal act. However, the question that comes to my mind is, “Why was he still wearing a uniform at all?” The correct answer could provide a reality check in this age of politically correct thought and evasive inaction.
©Copyright 2009 Edward Podritske